Notice cracks on your concrete pool deck in Orlando Florida? Don’t fret. There are still ways to revive that old slab and make it look new again. How? Through decorative concrete pool deck coatings and overlays, of course. Such applications are designed to cover up damage on the deck and give it a stronger and more appealing surface. We offer top quality concrete resurfacing solutions applicable for both residential and commercial swimming pool decks.
Concrete Pool Decking
Some people think that replacing the whole pool deck is a more reassuring solution to damage. If rebuilt properly, this could be true. However, it requires more time, money, and energy and not everyone has that. Repairing only the areas that need repairs is a more practical option. This is the great thing about concrete. It is so versatile that it can be repaired back to working condition, if not better.
Common Pool Deck Problems
- Cracks – This is probably the most common damage on any concrete surface. On a pool deck, cracks occur more frequently on the area around the corner of a swimming pool and on areas where foot traffic is heavier.
- Spalling and Scaling – These are common top layer issues caused by water and temperature change. The surface becomes weak and brittle, causing it to scale or spall off.
- Discoloration and Stains – Pool water often contains many different chemicals to balance the pH of the pool and keep organisms from breeding in it. Splashes of cured water could discolor a concrete deck or leave splash stains.
Decorative Concrete Resurfacing, Refinishing & Repair Options
Decorative concrete has taken the world by storm. It is being used on floors, walls, even countertops.
A stamped concrete pool deck overlay is a popular surface material for pool decking. It can cover up unpleasant cracks, holes, and cosmetic blemishes. It can be made to look like pavers, brick, or even tile. The imprinted pattern provides a slip-resistant surface that is comfortable against bare feet.
Sundek Classic Texture is a pool deck knockdown finish that presents another option for you. This is an acrylic coating sprayed onto the slab and then troweled by hand. The result is a stucco-like finish that is safe against slips and falls. One notable feature of spray texture is that the cool decking stays 30% cooler underfoot than other materials. Great option for covering stubborn stains.
Pros and Cons of DIY Pool Deck Resurfacing
- There are cost-saving benefits to doing your pool resurfacing yourself. Deciding to skip the contractor and the labor costs can significantly lower the overall cost of the project even more.
- There is greater customization available to you when you DIY it. A good contractor will know how to work with you and deliver the design you want, but if you want complete control over the artistic decisions and want to have the option of continuously redesigning it open, the DIY option might be for you.
- It may be more convenient for you if you have an unpredictable schedule and do not know the best time for people to come in to do the work.
- Deck resurfacing can be a difficult and complicated task, especially if you’ve never done it before. Hiring professionals who have a wealth of experience to do the work ensures the perfect completion of the project.
- There is a safety advantage to choosing a pro that you can’t ignore. It can be dangerous to use the tools and equipment necessary for the job, and using a professional contractor can significantly lower the risk of accidents.
- It is generally stress-free to use a professional. That convenience we mentioned as a pro to doing it yourself? That can easily disappear once problems start with the project or once something else comes up that may leave the project unfinished. Hire a professional to do the job for you if you want a quality job finished efficiently, on time, and perfectly.
- It can be expensive in the long run. While you may think you’re saving money in the beginning, unexpected costs in the middle of the project that you didn’t account for could crop up. It can also become a time-intensive project that will pull your productivity away from other tasks
Want to know more about our pool remodeling Orlando options? Give us a call at (407) 423-3342.
Sun Surfaces of Orlando is a premier decorative concrete company that specializes in resurfacing and refinishing concrete swimming pool deck, patios, driveways, interior floors, and more. Our team of pool specialists has the experience and know-how to make sure that each and every project is done efficiently.
Give us a call and we’ll give you a free quote, too. We’ll schedule you for a free consultation at a time most convenient for you.